American Perspectives ,by Susan Earle-Carlin and Colleen Hildebrand,helps high-intermediate and advanced students develop skills in reading comprehension and critical thinking. Each theme-based unit offers multiple views of contemporary U.S. culture. Authentic readings from books, newspapers, magazines, and websites stimulate cross-cultural discussion and writing.
- Introductory readings and preview activities tap students' previous knowledge and assumptions about U.S. culture.
- Reading skills and vocabulary expansion activities help students understand and express their ideas about the texts.
- Collaborative activities encourage students to interact with the readings and develop critical thinking skills.
- Short written responses, essays, research papers, as well as editing practice, help students perfect their writing skills as they reflect on their own values and experiences.
- Topics include the changing American family, the pursuit of happiness, health and fitness, and the importance of sports in our lives.