Providing a comprehensive exploration of the teachings and beliefs of the world’s living faiths, the third edition of this popular book has been revised and updated to reflect the vibrant role religion plays in the twenty-first century. The World Religions Reader
- Explores the unique nature of various faiths by introducing their traditions and rituals, ethical dimensions, and modern expressions
- Combines excerpts from sacred texts with reflections from a range of classic and contemporary thinkers - from the Bhagavad Gita and the Qur'an to Maimonides and Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Significantly expands material on Christianity, with a greater emphasis on the diversity of the tradition as expressed in Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Protestantism
- Broadens its coverage with new chapters on Emerging Religions, Jainism, Zoroastrianism and Indigenous Religions
- Considers the profound impact of 9/11 on the major religions and the effect it has had on our perceptions of others, and on interfaith communication
- Includes numerous reader-friendly features, such as key terms sections, summary reviews of major beliefs and significant events, a glossary, and revision and comparative questions.