Focus on Writing is an academic writing program that provides students with essential tools to master not only the key steps in the writing process, but also the grammatical structures, lexical knowledge, and rhetorical modes essential for academic writing.
This five-level series progresses with students as they grow in confidence and ability from sentence level (Book 1) through paragraphs (Books 13) and essays (Books 35). Each unit leads writers step-by-step through the process of prewriting, writing a first draft, revising, and editing before producing a final draft. Not only do students write an entire paragraph or essay in each unit, they are also given plenty of practice at the sentence and word levels.
Each unit teaches students how to use one or more common organizational structures: narrative, description, opinion, persuasion, compare-contrast, problem-solution, and cause-effect.
- High-interest readings and a choice of writing assignments provide a springboard for students’ writing.
- Grammar presentation and practice correlated to Focus on Grammar make the connection between grammar and writing clear.
- Building Word Knowledge mini-lessons and exercises teach students’ how to use word forms, collocations, idioms, compounds, descriptive details, phrasal verbs and other types of vocabulary in their writing.
- Revision and Editing checklists for each writing assignment help students rewrite and polish their first drafts.
- Online Teacher’s Manuals contain model lesson plans, unit overviews, timed writing assignments, authentic student models, and answer keys.